Saturday, August 17, 2013

Top Ten Lists: MS-Dos games.

(I haven't done one of these in a while and I do like my nostalgia.)

Number 10 : Wing Commander: Privateer



Wing Commander: Privateer is a space adventure game released by Origin Systems in 1993. The player takes the role of Grayson Burrows, a "privateer" who travels through the Gemini Sector, one of many sectors in the Wing Commander universe. Unlike Wing Commander, the player is no longer a navy pilot, but a freelancer who can choose to be a pirate, a merchant, a mercenary or any of the above in some combination. The player may follow the built-in plot but is free to adventure on his own, even after the plot has been completed. It's a little like firefly in sense of you against the world relying on  your own resources and talent.


Number 9: Bioforge


Another game by Origin Systems and released in 1995.  The plot is based around a fanatical group of religious extremists known as the Mondites who believe in the evolution of man through machine by cybernetic implants and aspire to galactic conquest under the direction of their insane leader, the Prime Paragon. I mostly remember the game for it's unique look and feel and the ability to beat a guard to death with his own arm.

Number 8: Commander Keen

I'm not a huge fan of platform games but Commander Keen came with my first PC and PC games were hard to find in my town. I played Keen to death and so deserves a spot on this list.

Number 7: Syndicate Wars


Frankly, I don't remember a damn thing about this game other than I enjoyed playing it. 

Number 6: Gabriel Knight


Possibly my favorite adventure game. I loved the look and feel of this game.  Gabriel Knight is a struggling horror novelist based in New Orleans. You follow him throughout the game investigating a series of homicides, dubbed "The Voodoo Murders" for their apparent voodoo overtones. The story line was quite engrossing and the puzzles challenging.

Number 5: Prince of Persia


Of all the games on this list, Prince of Persia holds up the best game-play wise. The game is pretty simple: jump, explore and climb your way through the levels while fighting the occasional guard along the way.  It was and still is surprisingly addictive.

Number 4: The Secret of Monkey Island


Ahh good old Guybrush Threepwood. The game, published by Lucasfilm Games in 1990, follows Threepwood in his attempts to become a pirate. The game is a point and click adventure with a some great puzzles and humor. Brutally difficult at times!

Number 3: X-com


My list of top ten spectrum games included three games by Julain Gollap so X-Com was guaranteed a place in this list. X-Com is a typical Gollap game incorporating turn based squad combat with base and personnel management. It's not as pretty as the recent remake but it has far more debt .

Number 2: Wolfenstein 3d



Wolfensten is another game that came with my first PC. The graphics were unbelievably good for the time and hiding behind a pillar to shoot a guard in the back? Gaming bliss. I soon became the envy of my friends thanks to this game.

Number 1:  Civilization


What can be said about one of most famous and successful turn based strategy games of  all time? I lost a significant portion of my student life to this game and I have no regrets.

3 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;